Sunday, July 13, 2008

This is the way I live....

What up Rafiki's..
Happy 4th of July!!! Life here is pretty awesome. We got to celebrate the 4th by having the afternoon off and meeting up for a sports day. we played soccer, vollyball, and frisbee. then we enjoyed some warm pepsi and meat triangle things. One volunteer brought a flag with her so we sang the National Anthem before the games began. I got a lil teary eyed. I got some real cool pictures to share too!
I love my host family. My mama is the sweetest lady ever. Today I told her I was going to town to write a letter on the computer and she said ( exact words) "okay Korie, you tell them i say hello. tell them i love you and happy you here and tell them im fat like you" haha i get that alot, its pretty funny. i love it when she stands there talking with me, holding nothing in her hands but she has tupperware on her head. So cute. My sister is the sweetest girl too. she tries to teach me how to hold stuff on my head but it went down hil real quick when i spilled all of my water on the ground. thats a big deal here and i didnt get a bath that day. oh well.

Training is pretty intense. I am learning all sorts of things: community assessment, grant writing, PACA tools, Hiv, malaria, water bourne illnesses and the wonderful side effects, and cultural stuff. Im kicking but at all of that except for the kiswahili, which is kinda of a big deal. In 4 weeks i get dropped off in the middle of nowhere. that just might top the getting dropped off at most host family story.
There is so much that happens everyday but then i get here and forget but pretty much i study alot, learn how to survive, take bucket baths in dirty water, drink warm beer on sundays with other volunteers, where long kongas cause i cant show my knee caps ( keep the caps under wraps, i like to say), eat white rice, slap mosquitos on my ankles while i hang out under palm trees next to an open fire as my mama cooks stuff i cant name, and chill with Maasai when they come out from the bush. The ussual stuff, ya know! In two weeks my friends and i are going to visit a Maasai "house" or something to visit his tribe. Incredible huh?
Next weekend I will be going to Mikumi National Park so I wont beable to make it to the internet for 2 weeks. I will let you know how that went tho.

Sending me stuff continued.......

Padded envelopes and appartently there is a box you buy at the post office that is one price and you fill it up. Idont know tho.
With calling me: my # 782-136-664
and dont leave a message because i dont even know if you can do that

I have also heard of a great calling card at alosmart.com and it is called the "goodcard"
aparently it lives up to its name...

Tanzania is 7 hours ahead....you can call me monday-saturday 10am- 2pm and Sundays early morning - 2pm ( yes i go to bed at 9pm and i love it)

ill talk to you all in 2 weeks - Peace out & send letters man...wheres the love?

1 comment:

Julia Szendrei said...

i would like to email one of your co-worker/friends and set up some sort of secret cam to scare the crap out of you litrally while you are peeing in your hole at night time. i love you korie and we are so proud of you. ok. and sophie says hi, im living with her now, i moved out of my old house, oh ya, and i got a 2nd dui.... but it was a flute, i was like moving my car, and they can't do anything because its only hearsay that i was drunk..... then im dating bob, you have never heard of him but he's bad ass, he's a white water raft guide, and he's got tattoos. We all went rafting and me and sophie fell out in the scary part. i was scared and did this starfish thing with my body, and my eyes it up like a very scared person. grandma's boy is on tv. so funny, i will send you presents soon. krissy is sending things too i think. i love you. xoxoxoxo jules