Thursday, September 11, 2008

yup...

So Im so disapointed that I do not know how to put pics on this blog. I think I may just buy an account somewhere and post them there. Who knows, but I have alot!!!

So I can honestly say that my most favorite part of being here is the people you meet. In America I always say hello to strangers or initiate conversation with people but most people think that is wierd. And yes, I do agree that im a little off beat, but either way it is seen as a negative thing. Well, in Tanzania if you do not greet people as you pass, visit neighbors for no reason, or visit for dinner it is considered to be extremely rude. The other night Randy came into to town and we went out to dinner for some "kiti moto." It translates to "hot seat" but it is just pork. When we walked in we wanted to eat outside but I began to greet a young couple and they invited us to sit down. If we didnt sit, we would be rude "wazungu" so we sat with them and im so happy we did. They are a young married couple who are teachers at a nearby school and they are in town for grade reporting (right now students are taking national exams). We sat and talked with them for like 4 hours and we immidiately hit it off. They invited us on their school field trip to the Ngorongoro Crater next week. Well i am the kind of person who loves the spur of the moment decision to just get up and go with a crazy idea. I live for it. Right now I am trying to the get the approval of PC staff, cross your fingers for me.
What is so awesome is that if randy and i choose to sit outside we would not have met such interesting people. Here, when you greet someone it can go on for like 15 minutes (no lie). There are so many amazing people you get to meet, just like the old lady i mentioned in my last post. Living and working here is very difficult at times and volunteers naturally question their decision to come and continue. It is the expection of the people you will meet and the experiences you could gain that truely keep me going.
final thought: forget what mom said and SAY HELLO TO STRANGERS....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are exciting for you out there. If you want a place online to host pics for free. Then check out www.photobucket.com I have had good luck with them.

Anonymous said...

Hey Sis:
Eventhough I miss you like crazy I know that you're having an amazing adventure. These 2 years are definitely 2 years that you'll never forget. You'll have special memories that no one can ever take away from you. I love you. Your favorite sister.