Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Holy Crap...we're growing up

So coming here to Tanzania is by far the biggest, the coolest, and the hardest thing I have ever done. I have learned an incredible amount of stuff in just 3 months and am progessing each day. Eventhough Im having a great time here its hard to think about whats going on at home with out me. My little nephew just turned one. Kristin is workin hard on her bowling skills. Jim passed the licsw and dating. Meaghan passed her nursing test and is moving to Hartford. And the biggest news of all.......Jenna is gonna be a mom!!! Whats going on here.

This morning I was talking with my school principal about some of my ideas. Here in Katesh there really are no programs for kids/teens. Eachday after school they have nothing to do. The girls go home to work, boys roam the streets and hang out, and we all know what the teenagers are doing. My thoughts right now is to start afterschool programs for primary school kids. Eachday there will be art projects, music/dancing/ and of course sports. I also would like the students from the secondary school to work with me to run the programs. So while everyone at home is growing up, im gonna stay here and play kickball for a while...peace

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa you are like implementing social programs and changes?? That is crazy.

I hear you one the whole crazy thing with friends growing up and such. Wait till you get to my age and they are all getting married and such.

Glad to keep hearing from you on here. Glad to see you are doing well.

-Chris

Anonymous said...

Korie, I love you lots and even though it may seem like im growing up, dont worry Im not.Im just waiting for you to come back to me! I miss you dearly =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Girly Twirly!!
How awesome the after school program sounds! Something like that is life changing for them. You must be a breath of fresh and inspiring air to all of them!
Peace to you!!!
Kathie

Anonymous said...

OH....P.S. growing up is really overrate!! So cheers to you!

Al Kito said...

I'm from Tanzania. I currently live near Boston where I go to school. I just want to say thank you for the wonderful work you do in my country. We need more people like you in all parts of the world.