Thursday, June 5, 2008

All my bags are packed, Im ready to go...

So I leave for Tanzania is 3 short days and I’m Freaking Out…..So many things are going thru my mind right now it is hard to focus. I feel excited, overwhelmed, proud and anxious all at the same time. I am truly ecstatic and over stimulated. Its awesome. I first heard of the Peace Corps 8 years ago during the final episode of Boy Meets World. Mat Lawrence’s character, Jack, joins the Peace Corps. At age 15 I remember looking it up online and thinking of how cool it sounded. Of course, freshman year in college I saw the re-run again but this time the idea of becoming a volunteer was a possibility. Sooo, I applied, wrote some essays, got recommendations, had an interview, saw a bunch of doctors, crossed my fingers and waited 10 months. And here I am, packing my bags and saying goodbye.

I have wanted to go to Africa since I was a little girl. This is my dream. To be honest, I think that is why I am so scared. So many people go their whole lives without ever having the opportunity to make their dreams come true and here I am, at 23, about to live mine out. How lucky am I? I know it won’t be easy and it will test me in ways I have never been tested before but I look forward to the challenge and I hope I rise to it. Thank you to everyone who has given me support these past couple of months. You know who you are and I have certainly appreciate all of your kind words and well wishes. I hope you continue to read this blog, even in a year or so. I love you all and keep me in your thoughts. Peace Out!

1 comment:

NMaddocks said...

Korie,
I'm sorry I did not get a chance to say goodbye. I wish you the best of luck, and I know you will succeed in anything you do. Seriously, that brought a tear to my eye! I really hope you have the time of your life. I miss you pal, When you come home, lets jump out of a plane OK?
I love you and best of luck my friend i'll be thinking of you :)
-Nikki